Reviewed by Jordan Piller
- 10.5 handicap
- High 90s MPH driver swing speed
- Jordan upgraded from Mizuno MP 32 then Callaway RZR X Black
Review in short
The Callaway Rogue ST Pro is a hollow body iron with a very thin and fast face to give you player looks but insane distances. Lacks the feel of the Apex range but for the money, these are a real competitor to the TaylorMade P790s.
Why I play these irons
I’ve been waiting for a few years to find a set that was not a blade and was not a cavity back. These are not forged but are dead sexy, provide great feedback, are workable and provide a touch of forgiveness when needed. I’ve got some old Mizuno blades that I love but just don’t get on the course enough to be consistent with them. These Callaway ST Pros, which I believe they call “playas distance irons”, have been exactly what I hoped for so far.
Looks and feel
I can break down how these irons play into 3 areas;
1. Control. Although the club faces are extremely hot I’ve found that a smooth swing generates the yardage I want with the accuracy I need.
2. Length. Pure strikes feel pretty much like nutting a blade and seem to penetrate through the air. A smooth swing hit square pays off with extra yards.
3. Feels. Both standing over it and in the hands. I feel like a boss over the ball cause they don’t have a hunk of material out the back and the feedback is great in the hands knowing where I’m off centre.
The TaylorMade P790 shook up the players-distance iron market and Callaway had to respond. Callaway designers pushed stainless steel to new limits by switching the cupface material to a stronger 450 steel that can be made thinner to produce an extra spring-like effect. Increased ball speed doesn’t really help a player like me if I can't keep the ball on the planet so a better casting process for the intricate faces that yield speed and proper spin (300 revolutions per minute more), launch (half a degree higher) and descent angle is welcome. The result is a 13-percent tighter dispersion than the Mavrik Pro iron.
- Project X Tour Flighted 105
- Mitsubishi Tensei White
Price for the set
RPP $1,199 4-PW