Blue Canyon is the site of one of Tiger Woods victories when he was super young. He won the Johnnie Walker there and there's a plaque on one of the par 4s where he hit a drive on the green.
That doesn't sound like a big deal nowadays, but this was back in the day when he was playing balata golf balls, steel headed driver and steel shafts!
What went wrong with Blue Canyon?
For a while, there was a Singaporean company that owned the course and they really screwed the place up. They messed the members around and then cut costs everywhere.
The greens shrunk, the condition was bad and it seemed the course had its glory days WAY back.
A local Thai investor purchased the golf course and has restored the Canyon Course to its former glory. I got a chance to play it before it was reopened to members in 2021. Even before opening, it was special. The greens have been restored to world class quality and the layout and conditioning is superb.
They've removed some trees and made it overall a picturesque golf course and one of the best value places on the island of Phuket.
What makes Blue Canyon unique?
- Two 18 hole golf courses - The Canyon and the Lakes courses are both super. The Canyon course was the site of the Johnnie Walker for very many years.
- Located on an old tin mine. There are some spectacular drops and naked earth scenery that is breathtaking.
- Clubhouse overlooks the 9th and 18th green of the Canyon course. You sit perched high up on the grounds, overlooking the reshaped 9th hole and the now-restored 18th green.
- The food is so well priced, it's CRAZY. I usually flinch when someone gives me a menu at a golf course restaurant. But here, you want to order 4 or 5 dishes because the value is so good.
- My friend, Golf, from Golf Every Second Youtube channel practices there and they gave him a very good deal as a local pro to use their facilities. He also teaches there in his time away from the tour due to Covid restrictions. You can see him for sure if you play Blue Canyon.
- Tiger Woods made history here. He won the Johnnie Walker extremely young. To stand on the tee where he drove the green and imagine him doing that when everyone else in the field just would play it way to the right, is mesmerizing. I hit it over the green on my tee shot but I have a titanium driver, graphite shaft and Pro V1. He didn't Amazing to see such historical sites.
How does Blue Canyon look?
Here's a video of Golf and me playing the Canyon Course.
The cold hard facts about Blue Canyon Country Club in Phuket Thailand
The courses are very walkable. There are constantly promotions but with the country reopening, you may find, as tourists return, the price may increase a lot.
I say this because the place is in fantastic condition now and while and is worth the time. You can get two great courses while in Phuket.
I would say it's a must play.
Be careful on Google maps though. If you put it into the map, it may take you up a side road. Both courses are accessible from the same entrance but make sure the route you use is the blue one indicated in the map below.
Using the red route or any route other than the blue one below will send you up a service road to NOWHERE!
Blue Canyon Country Club Green Fee
Green fees: Generally between 1,500 and 3,000 Thai Baht depending on the season and day of the week. Courses are generally cheaper on weekdays and more expensive on weekend.
Caddie fee: around $13 USD. This is mandatory at all golf courses in Thailand anyway.
Caddie tip: Usually you want to match the caddie fee for the caddie tip at a minimum. The maximum should be reasonable but not insane. Anything above 600-700 Baht and you will be spoiling the market for the locals and members.
My standard tip everywhere now since the pandemic is 500 THB if the caddie was remotely better than average.
Guides for how to play Blue Canyon Country Club Phuket
Follow my channel and watch these videos of us playing there.
Guide for how to play Blue Canyon Lake Course
Other things to do around Blue Canyon
Phuket is a large island with plenty of beaches.
There's a ton of nightlife and you can do anything you want there. The world is your oyster.