We love walking a golf course, feeling the turf, coming up with a plan for each shot, and scoring better. After lugging a heavy bag for just one round though, we all start thinking about what the best lightweight carry golf bag would be. Once you throw a lightweight bag on your shoulders, that's when carrying gets easier, scores improve even more, and you save your shoulders.
You can even get carry bags as light as 3.9 lbs! Imagine how much better your aching shoulders and back could feel after a round.
In this article, we'll showcase the top options available, considering factors such as weight, comfort, durability, and storage capacity. Soon, you'll have everything you need to know to choose the best carry golf bag for you.
The Best Lightweight Carry Golf Bags 2024
TaylorMade Flextech Lite Golf Bag
Best overall lightweight carry bag at 3.9 lbs
What we like:
- Strong legs and leg locking technology
- Comfortable strap and ergonomic design
- A very light 3.9 lbs
- Large edgy color range
The stand is sturdy and keeps the legs extended fully or contracted fully, with no loose hanging legs while carrying. That is an overlooked aspect of carry bags with stands. Strong and efficient leg extending and retracting stops the legs getting hooked on things in your car or when you carry the bag on the course.
Comfort and Ergonomic Design
This is a very comfortable carry on both the back and butt. The straps of the Flextech Lite are comfortable on the shoulders and help hold the bag in a very pleasant position across your back side.
The pocket configuration is intuitive and accessible while walking. You won’t need to always put the bag down to reach your valuables or your drink. The zipper pulls are large rings which are very easy to get your fingers into and yank open the zippers.
Eight nicely sized pockets mean you can store a ton of stuff. The interior mesh pockets in the main pocket help to divide up the small and big stuff so there’s no need to rummage. Another cool feature on the inside of the bag is a zip that gives you access to the club compartment to retrieve things you’ve dropped down the top of the bag – keys, bottle, wallets, your kids etc. An insulated drink pocket is included as well.
Edgier colors and design
The colors and design of the bags are bright and attractive with some standard options available. The fabric is high quality and will not tear easily.
- Weight: 3.9 lbs
- 4 way full-length dividers
- 8 pockets
- Cart strap channel so won't fall off the cart
- Dual density strap for added comfort
- Molded hip pad for carrying comfort
Callaway Golf Fairway C Golf Bag
What we like:
- Five pockets gives you maximum storage space
- Takes up minimal space in storage or in the car
- A very light 4.4 lbs
- Extreme durability through all kinds of weather
- Unique strap design and materials feel soft on your shoulders
The Callaway Fairway C stands out as one of the best lightweight carry golf bags thanks to innovative straps and hip pad system, using EVA molding to save your shoulders and back especially. The EVA material within the straps and hip pad feels really much softer and more comfortable than anything else on the market.
The Fairway C weighs a crazy low 2 kilograms (4.4lbs) with a 4-way top to ensure space for each club without tangling of the grips which is so common in stand bags.
With five pockets, this bag offers generous storage capacity. The pocket that is so important in modern day is the valuables pocket and the Fairway C valuable pocket is fleece-lined, designed to safeguard your phone from scratches. It provides ample depth to comfortably store a phone, wallet, keys, and other valuable items.
Mizuno K1-LO Carry Bag
The Mizuno K1-LO is a very nice looking golf bag that combines style and functionality. Designed to withstand harsh weather conditions while keeping your gear dry, this bag is a reliable companion on the course. It excels in the summer months but also provides excellent protection in heavy rain, all while comfortably holding all 14 clubs. Its versatility makes it one of the best golf stand bags available.
Available in various color options, including a striking blue and white combination, the Mizuno K1-LO offers a premium aesthetic that appeals to a wide range of golfers. The bag's high-density foam shoulder straps provide exceptional comfort during carrying, making it one of the lightest and most enjoyable stand bags on the market.
Storage space is abundant in the Mizuno K1-LO, with nine pockets at your disposal. Among them, a full-length apparel pocket and a fur-lined valuables pocket stand out as excellent additions. Additionally, the bag features a velcro glove patch, which proves handy for those who remove their gloves while putting. The five-way top cuff comfortably accommodates all 14 golf clubs, and the lightweight yet sturdy legs ensure stability even on windy days.
Cobra Golf Ultralight Pro Carry Stand Bag
What we like:
- Seven pockets for maximum storage
- More stable legs from improved mechanism
- A very light 4.0 lbs
- Best color range of all
- Easy flex base for stability when extended
- Can be used easily in golf carts
The Cobra Ultralight Pro stand bag is easy to carry and made of lightweight synthetic material for durability. Despite having such a lot of storage space, the bag fits easily into tight places, unlike some of the bigger options.
The Ultralight Pro has a lower center of gravity to stop the bag tipping over. When the lightweight carry bags are filled with clubs, sometimes the weight being at the top of the bag can cause the bag to topple. Cobra prevent this by improving the solid base of the bag which is flat. THe flat base means you can use this bag in a push cart as well as a driving cart.
What to Look for When Choosing a Lightweight Golf Bag
When choosing a lightweight golf bag, there are several key factors to consider. Here are some important aspects to look for:
- Weight: Look for clues in the name of the bag. Words like Lite or numbers with decimals can indicate the lightweight golf bags.
- Comfort: Consider the shoulder straps and handles. Look for padded straps, ergonomic designs, and adjustable features that provide comfort and minimize fatigue during your round.
- Durability: The stand and mechanism should open wide at the end of the legs so the bag has a solid base without falling over. The fabrics should be strong and if you need a waterproof bag, it's important to look for that specific term in the description.
- Storage capacity: This is where a lightweight carry golf bag might try and shave weight so expect their to be less storage capacity. A thermal water pocket might be sacrificed but if you look carefully, the exact number of pockets is almost always mentioned.
- Club organization: Check for features like dividers and club slots that keep your clubs organized and prevent them from clattering together. Like pockets, lightweight golf bags tend to have fewer dividers to save weight. Check to see if they have full length dividers to stop grip tangling and 4-5 slots in the top of the bag.
- Easy access and functionality: Ensure that the bag offers convenient access to pockets, zippers, and compartments, allowing you to retrieve items easily while on the course. Consider features like towel loops, umbrella holders, and glove attachments for added convenience.
- Style and aesthetics: While not essential to performance, the bag's appearance and design may be important to you. Choose a bag that reflects your personal style and preferences.
- Price: Consider your budget and find a lightweight golf stand bag that offers the desired features within your price range. Compare different options to get the best value for your money.
What is the average weight of a full golf bag?
The average weight of a full golf bag, including clubs and other equipment, typically ranges from 20 to 30 pounds (9 to 13.5 kilograms).
The clubs themselves account for a most of the weight, with a set of 14 clubs generally weighing around 18 to 23 pounds (8 to 10 kilograms). Other factors contributing to the overall weight of a golf bag include the bag's materials, additional accessories like rangefinders, and personal items stored in the pockets.
It's worth mentioning that bags like Sunday bags or pencil bags, have become popular. These bags are designed to reduce total weight and offer a portable and minimalist option for golfers who prefer to carry fewer clubs and essentials during their rounds. These lightweight bags can weigh as little as 3 to 5 pounds (1.4 to 2.3 kilograms), excluding the weight of the clubs.
How much does a lightweight carry golf bag weigh?
A lightweight golf bag typically weighs between 3 and 5 pounds (1.3 to 2.3 kilograms).
Manufacturers use lightweight materials, such as nylon, carbon fiber, or other synthetic fabrics, without compromising on durability and functionality. These materials allow for a strong bag, that lasts a long time and reduces strain on the golfers body in the long term.
Do you prefer walking the course and drive a golf cart?
If you sometimes drive a golf car when you play, a most lightweight carry bags can be strapped to the back. The best lightweight carry bags have flat bases so you can use it for two purposes - carrying and carting. Newer stand bags have flat bases.
If you like walking, you have the option of carrying your bag on your shoulders or using a push cart with the same carry bag.
Do you prefer walking the course with a bag on your back or on a push cart?
If you prefer using a push cart exclusively, you should get a cart bag. They are designed specifically to give access to all the pockets and align correctly to the cart. Weight of the bag is less of an issue because it’s rolled on the cart over the ground.
Carrying a bag would require a lightweight carry golf bag with nice double straps to distribute the weight over your shoulders evenly. Cart bags only have one strap and are cumbersome to carry around the course.
Do you have any back problems?
If you have a bad back, it’s best to have a cart bag you drive with on a car or you put one on a push cart and push your bag around easily. Carry and stand bags will place added pressure on your back.
Pull carts wreak havoc on your lower back so it's best to avoid pull carts and opt for a push cart.
Do you travel with your clubs?
If you travel with your clubs, it’s best to have a carry/stand bag. You can hitch it up to a cart you rent or carry it around yourself on the golf courses you visit. A lightweight carry golf bag will help stay under the limit of weight allowed for sports equipment on airlines too.
Traveling with a cart bag is a major pain. The single strap is uncomfortable and the bags have not been ergonomically designed to be carried. The heavy weight of a cart bag makes it easy to go over the airline weight limits.
Is storage space a priority for you?
A cart bag on a push cart offers you maximum storage space for everything you need on the golf course. The push carts have their own built in storage on top of the cart bags many compartments. You’ll have enough supplies to live for a week on the course.
Lightweight golf bags have revolutionized the way golfers carry their equipment on the course. With advancements in design, materials, and functionality, these bags offer convenience without compromising on quality. Throughout this article, we have explored the key factors to consider when choosing a lightweight golf bag, including weight, comfort, durability, storage capacity, club organization, easy access, style, and price.
Pick the right one for you taking all your preferences into account and you'll notice a huge difference in how your body feels after a round.